Saturday, June 12, 2010

Shangi-La and my last day in Japan





Words cannot adequately describe the beautiful Shangri-La in, Japan. It evokes memories of the legend of Shangri La, written by British writer James Hilton in 1933 when he told a story full of romance in his masterpiece Lost Horizon. The story was set in a place called Shangri-La, in an unknown glacier canyon somewhere in the Qinghai-Tibet plateau. It was an earthly paradise and a refuge for the soul. Ever since, the word "Shangri-La" has represented a land of idyllic beauty. In my heart, it represents not only the beauty of the property, but the beauty of the people who work and serve there.

You see, in my heart of hearts, I have been touched by an overall experience from these lovely people who live to serve. I cannot begin to name each of them for fear of leaving just one person out. I can honestly say that the general manager, Wolfgang, believes in empowering his people in a way that delivers an extraordinary service and unique encounter time and time again. What a leader and a what a gift to all who work with him! Stanley, director of Sales and Marketing, with his joyful spirit and kindness, was always with us, attending to our every need and explaining so much of what we were experiencing.

My final day in Japan began with a workout in the gym. The attendant and Yuko, her manager, discovered I enjoyed reading my kindle while pedaling the bike, or training on the elliptical. During my stay, they went out and purchased a special reading light that clamps to the machine to ensure I would have the best lighting possible! In many companies, this idea might be listed on next week (or month's) meeting agenda as a suggestion. But not at the Shangri-La.

Keiko (one of our angels and the person responsible for all our arrangements) organized personal shoppers to accompany us during our stay. With only two hours to shop before leaving for the airport, shopping with a personal shopper was a wonderful indulgence. Tomoko expertly guided me through the streets and stores and provided translation when needed.

As I was leaving the hotel for the airport, the hotel staff staged their "waving ceremony". I imagine this was for the benefit of us Americans. It was special and so adorable to see them all lined up waving goodbye.

With too much luggage and a luxurious ride in a brand new Rolls Royce, I was headed to Narita for the one hour plus transfer. Upon arrival, my door opened and I received a surprise greeting by Koji, the Concierge at the Shangri-La! This personal service was beyond my comprehension as I was greeted by a welcomed friend to help me with my luggage and navigate the terminal.

Another Japanese custom when you say your goodbyes is for the person to watch you leave before they leave. Koji and one of the hotel's bellmen patiently waited while I went through security and disappeared to the gate area. It reminded me of my mom because she will do the same thing each and every time we leave her home. How respectful and caring.

My fourteen hour flight was relaxing in my "flat-bed" on Delta, direct to Atlanta. It's hard to believe I am home now negotiating time and sleep on central time.

Arigato, thank you, for following my journal and living this unique journey with me.

I shall cherish these memories to Japan for a lifetime.

Sayonara (Good-bye)

Mata aimashou (See you again!)








1 comment:

  1. Remind me to tell you about the "Cherry Tree"
    that greeted me upon arrival. Just remembered this little surprise. There are numerous other (surprises)just like it!

    ReplyDelete